Friday, January 31, 2014

Just Nan SAL

The first post date is finally here, so I can share my first JN finish of the year, Candy Cane Snowflake:


The kit actually came with a piece of fabric, but it was a bit too light for my taste, so I used a piece of hand dyed Cashel linen in a pretty, pine green from my stash. I had started it on a piece of Belfast linen, but realized that the charm was going to be too large for the piece. Luckily, I discovered that before I got too far!

One of my favorite parts to this design is the red and white striped beads that are around the center charm; they are just so cute, and look like little peppermint candies!

There is a frame designed for this piece, but I wasn't able to find one, so I used the frame designed for JN's Rudy Reindeer, and I think it is a nice substitute. It gives it a bit more of a Christmas vibe, with the tree charm, and will be a nice decoration to get out every year now at Christmas:


I have already completed my next JN piece for this SAL, and made a pretty good start on the third, so I'm thinking I'll actually be able to complete this year-long SAL with 12 pretty little finishes. And if I'm able to do even more, all the better! This page has more entries for this month's SAL.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy weekend!

10 comments:

  1. That is GORGEOUS!! Goodness, I don't even remember seeing that piece before. *sigh*...Now I must track it down. I think it looks great in that frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness! *paws screen* I NEED THAT CHART TO LIVE @_@ LOL

    Beautiful stitching and finishing Melanie! And gurl your needles are on fire if your Feb piece is already done! :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, BEAUTIFUL! Love your fabric choice! I am SO jealous....I love that chart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful! I am so with Zeb! If you ever want to pass that chart around to the members in the group Just Nan Junkies, there is a list there with people waiting to be able to stitch these very, very hard to find patterns! I am drooling right along with everyone! Stunning stitching and I love the frame substitution!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great Melanie.
    Love the Candy-Cane beads.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie, I have just discovered your blog. Wow - so much stitchy eye candy (I especially love your Mirabilia Star Gazer piece - stunning!). Great kitty photos (I have 3 cats). I like your different colour choices for the CCN Frosty Forest series. I'm stitching it too but with the recommended threads. I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Such a lovely finish. xx

    ReplyDelete